BURNABY — Job seekers in Burnaby are among the more than 5,500 British Columbians receiving the training they need for employment in their communities, thanks to an investment of nearly $36 million from the federal and provincial governments under the Canada-British Columbia Job Fund.
Contracts with 63 service providers to deliver targeted skills training programs across B.C. have been finalized. The programs offered in Burnaby to participants in a variety of communities include:
- Douglas College $422,739 for the Career and Vocational Exploration Youth Program
- S.U.C.C.E.S.S. $344,000 for Youth Employment Connect
- S.U.C.C.E.S.S. $320,996 for Youth Business Initiative Program
- YMCA $279,946 for Youth Breakthrough Employment and Training Program
- YMCA $279,972 for Experience Works
“There are quite a few exciting career options available to young people, and these grants will give them the best possible start along the path to the workforce in B.C.,” said Burnaby North MLA Richard T. Lee.
Some of these programs are delivered in partnership with the Industry Training Authority and the Ministry of Advanced Education. The goal of the training is to help unemployed British Columbians who face barriers to workforce participation to find sustainable employment. The programs are now underway, and the majority will continue into September 2016.
Through the Canada Job Fund, the Government of Canada provides $500 million annually to the provinces and territories for investments in skills training. Under the Canada–British Columbia Job Fund Agreement, the province receives $65 million per year—its per capita share of the available funding.
The Canada-British Columbia Job Fund helps ensure training programs give individuals the skills to enter and succeed in the job market. The goal of the Employment Services and Supports stream is to increase the labour market participation of unemployed British Columbians who are not eligible for Employment Insurance programming and services.
- Canada Job Fund: http://www.esdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/training_agreements/cjf/index.shtml
- Canada Job Grant: http://www.esdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/training_agreements/cjg/index.shtml
- Canada-B.C. Job Grant: https://www.workbc.ca/canadabcjobgrant